Saturday, February 20, 2010

Cheap, Easy, and Light Berry Cobbler

I was in the mood for dessert tonight (ok, I'm always in the mood for dessert), but I actually felt like baking something! So, I embraced it and tried to look for a recipe where I could use some frozen strawberries I had defrosted. Here is what I came up with:

Cast of Characters:
2 Cups of blackberries (HEB had them on sale, so I used fresh)
2 Cups of Strawberries (I used thawed frozen ones)
1/4 tsp table salt
2 Tbsp Cornstarch
1/4 Cups Sugar
2/3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 Cup Buttermilk


Preheat oven to 400. In a shallow, 2 qt. baking dish, stir together berries, 1/4 tsp salt, 2 Tbsp. cornstarch, and 1/4 cups of sugar. Bake until hot, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare the topping: In a bowl, mix together 2/3 c. of flour, 1 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt. Stir in buttermilk to form a sticky dough.

Remove fruit from oven. Drop dough by heaping tablespoons onto fruit to form 4 biscuits. Bake until biscuits are golden brown and fruit is bubbling, about 22-25 minutes. Allow cobbler to sit for 5 minutes for fruit to firm up before serving. Yields about 1c. fruit and biscuit per serving. (all that for 4 weight watchers points)!

Then, I topped with some Vanilla Bean Dryers Slow Churn (1/3 calories). You could also top with fat free cool whip or full cal ice cream---whatever floats your boat.

1 comment:

Nate said...

Sounds tasty, but your blog text is a little hard on the eyes. I hate to be critical here, but AAAAAIIIIEEEE

:)